Aug 28, 2009

- Health food makes me sick -
Oh the horror that is today.

Few moments ago, my stomach growled. After being deprived from food for at least 12 hours, my stomach was begging for sustenance. So there I was, on my laptop, minding my own business and trying real hard to ignore the calls of my stomach, but of course, my will as a human being wasn’t strong enough. The lonely cheesecake box situated at the corner of my table that I had gotten awhile back, god knows from which era, caught my attention. Perhaps it was because of its bright orange color that made my eyes shift that side or perhaps it’s just my stomach way of telling me to feed it with any food within reach but whatever the reason was, my hand reached out for it.Thinking that I get to enjoy at least a stick of cheesecake from the ‘Brick Factory’, I opened the box only to have it closed right back immediately.

The smell!!Goodness gracious me!!If smell could kill, this one could definitely wipe out the whole of Singapore. The fine tasting cheesecake got moldy just by being placed at the corner of my table despite it still being wrapped in the box with the square packet thingy inside. The thingy main purpose (if I’m not mistaken) is to prevent molding to which I have to vehemently disagree cause as I have said, my cheesecake ended up something akin to ‘Fat Man’; the smell representing the mushroom cloud with my room being Nagasaki.

So I did what normal people would do; into the bin it went. Can’t really say I’m going to miss it because seriously, that cloud of smell has left a strong impression in which I doubt it’s going to be forgotten anytime soon.

Having said about smell, I baked carrot cake; cupcake style!!It was uber delicious! The smell was simply aromatic (a definite improvement from my ‘Fat Man’). I had to pinch my nose to prevent myself from inhaling the one thing that could break my fast as I had baked them around 9 in the morning. This is to avoid my mom from finding out I had done some baking cause if my memory serves me well (which is not often mind you), she strictly told me “NO BAKING farz.” But me being me, I made them. So I had them baked, cooled and pop them into the fridge all before my mom came back. Not bad eh? The carrot cake (ok, cupcake; for those that are so rigid in your baking terms) stayed hidden in the fridge (away from my mom’s prying eyes) till evening where I topped them with cream cheese topping. They were the first thing I grabbed when the time for breaking my fast came.

I got to say, the cake/cupcake is definitely better than the previous one my sister made (shh…don’t tell her I said that cause if she finds out, I’m so dead). The cake/cupcake is very moist due to the crushed pineapple (which I added more and decrease the amount of sugar to make up for the excess pineapple syrup) and the spices give the cake/cupcake the overall ‘omph’ that makes me categorize this recipe as a keeper. It wasn’t overly sweet and I think if coupled with a cup of coffee, this cake/cupcake would be the perfect snack for tea time.

I got that piece of paper with the recipe on it dog-eared mind you. It’s a definite keeper for someone who loves carrot.

p.s. my mom asked when I baked them and I replied, “Sometime just now.”



carrot cake cupcake-style!!!
Photobucket


i love the two tone swirl. it's not that difficult to achieve but it does require 3 friggin piping bag!!
Photobucket

see that retro board under those cupcake?? i'm proud of that piece of art work...it took me 3 long hours of cutting and pasting to get that but it was worth it. ;-)
Photobucket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home