Sep 14, 2009

substitute banana cake

If bananas could talk, I think the current ones (though now it’s not so current) sitting on my counter would say,

“Use me. I know you want to. I’m ripe for anything.”

It may sound vulgar, OK, it does sound vulgar but so what. My imagination tends to run wild when it comes to food. If your imagination runs along the same line as mine, you’d understand when I say; whenever we see food, we have found our playground. Just imagine the things that we could do with them. Oh my! You can do wonders with just a block of chocolate, whipped up different flavored frosting with 8 ounces of cream cheese and different types of cakes with just 2 overripe medium bananas. We could even play around with it, tweak certain recipes to suit our little but demanding heart’s desire and of course the best part; doing experiments! What would you get if you add raspberry puree to a certain batter? Use wholewheat flour instead of plain? The only way to get that answer is of course by experimenting them. I think food is a gift nicely wrapped from heaven to kind people like us who appreciates food; it’s for our good taste in appreciating the finer things in life.

Back to my bananas. So there they were, taunting me; in their over ripe condition just begging me to use them as an ingredient. Well, with me being me, I caved in and decided to fulfill their wish. So they became my main ingredient for my banana cake. I planned to mash them up together, store it in the fridge and use them the next day but my mom insisted that I bake the cake that day and bake them I did.

Looking at the ingredients required, I thought I had all of them on hand, except for sour cream which I substituted with plain yogurt, so I started baking. Here’s the best part. When I was looking for my yogurt, it wasn’t there! I searched like a mad person I tell you but the result was still the same so of course I went out of the kitchen and asked,

“Who took my plain yogurt?”

Instinctively, my next question was, “Papa, you took my yogurt is it?”

This is of course knowing that when it comes to missing yogurt, it doesn’t take a genius to make my dad as the main suspect. He inhales yogurt like a freaking cigarette.

He stopped typing, looked up from his laptop and said,

“Ya la. Your mother never buy yogurt for so long. That yogurt I saved it as a last resort. I see your mother not buying yogurt then I had no choice but to eat that.” With that said, off he went continuing with his work.

So apologetic I tell you. Man. Can't they at least sound a bit guilty? Maybe I'm just asking too much.Oh well.

So I stood in the kitchen, racking my brain what to substitute my substituted ingredient for. So I listed down all the possible substitutes that would of course suit this cake (duh!).

Substitute for sour cream is plain yogurt (which I’ve intended to use). Substitute for plain yogurt would be buttermilk (for me that is but it may differ from individuals). Knowing that I do not have buttermilk on hand, I substitute that as well with homemade buttermilk. A cup of milk with one tablespoon of lemon juice let stand for 5 minutes.

Voila, my substitute banana cake. Turned out real nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home